St Hilda was a Celtic religious sister who founded a monastery at Whitby, UK in the 7th century.
She was an energetic, enthusiastic and wise Christian woman. She is one of the most revered and popular of English saints. Her life was all about community; people working, worshipping and witnessing together in response to their experience of the love of God.
In 657 St Hilda became the founding abbess of Whitby Abbey, then known as Streoneshalh. She remained there until her death. The Abbey was Celtic style, with its members living in small houses, each for two or three people. The tradition in double monasteries, such as Whitby, was that men and women lived separately but worshipped together in church. All property and goods were held in common; Christian virtues were exercised, especially peace and charity. Everyone had to study the Bible and do good works.
Five men from this monastery later became bishops. Two, John of Beverley, Bishop of Hexham and Wilfrid, Bishop of York, were canonized for their service to the Christian church at a critical period in its fight against paganism.
St Hilda Anglican Church Upper Hutt
When an Anglican Church was built in Upper Hutt, New Zealand in 1910, St Hilda was chosen as its patron saint. We are currently investigating why St Hilda was chosen as the Upper Hutt saint for Anglicans way back then. Can you help?
Today St Hilda's Church, Upper Hutt seeks to continue in the tradition of St Hilda and the Whitby monastic community of Christians she established. Working, worshipping and witnessing together is a good description of how we conceive of our mission. We are a loving community serving God, one another and Upper Hutt.
A Short History of St Hilda's Church in the Parochial District of Upper Hutt 1910-1960
A record compiled for the 50th Jubilee of the St Hilda's Church opening in August 1910
St. Hilda's Anglican Church, Cruickshank Road, Upper Hutt 1979-; previously at Wakefield St. corner 1910-1979.
Mainly a photo record of the Church as it was moved from the town centre to Cruickshank Road.
A Stained Glass window features St Hilda
The central image is of St Hilda, abbess of Whitby. On the left, missionaries in a boat symbolising the church's evangelical outreach; on the right, King Oswy, and Bishops Colman and Wilfrid. Stained-glass window made by Peter Janssen, of Wellington, and dedicated on July 24, 1983.
Bust of Jesus Christ
Carved from Carrara marble by Harry Mettam, a monumental mason of the Parish. Presented as a gift to St Hilda's in the late 1980's.